The Acid Alkaline Diet is made on the premise that the delicate balance of acidity and alkalinity in the body could be affected by a certain diet. When that balance is disturbed, the acidity of the body could increase, which is often the cause of many risky diseases like cancer. Other than cancer, high levels of pH in the body could lead to weight issues, heart problems, and other such complications to the different parts and systems of the body. This alkaline diet, then, is used to correct the unbalance so the acidity level would be normal.
The alkalizing diet detoxifies the body first and then sustains lower pH levels. It is the process of sustaining lower PH levels that would be really critical. To do this, dieters have to consume food and drinks that maintains the low acidity level.
Foods to Include in the Acid-Alkaline Diet
Lower pH levels are sustained by eating mostly vegetables and fruits with plenty of nuts and clean water as well. Here are some of the suggested alkaline-forming foods: cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, cucumber, lettuce, radish, avocado, lemon, watermelon, almonds, lentils, and many more. Aside from pure water, dieters are also asked to drink fresh vegetable juice, herbal tea, and the likes.
People who are on the Acid Alkaline Diet can still eat acid-forming foods in very low quantity, though, which may include beef, chicken, turkey, milk, carbonated drinks, pistachio nuts, white bread, fast food meals, and others. Other foods that have to be strictly avoided are fatty meats, oily fishes, chocolates, and drinks such as alcohol.
Any exercise is not a must in this Acid Alkaline Diet. However, this is still encouraged as a good workout, is a very good complement to whatever diet one is using.
- The food and drinks taken are excellent bases for a healthy and energetic lifestyle.
- Some of the health claims are true like the strengthening of the muscles and bones.
- When the foods and drinks recommended are strictly followed, it creates an almost cholesterol free intake which should be excellent for lowering blood pressure and in keeping the heart strong and healthy.
- No special gear or exercise equipment needed
- Takes a high-level of effort to maintain the diet for one will be missing most of the foods and drinks the average person takes.
- Mostly applicable to vegetarians and vegans.
- Ratio of alkaline and acid forming foods is varied. Some say 70-30, others 80-20, or 60-40, all in favor though of the former though.
- Weight loss claims are shaky.
The alkaline concept of lowering acid levels is a little off kilter as science proves that the body itself is endlessly at work to keep the acidity and alkalinity levels on level terms. However, by taking these required foods and drinks, it does offer legitimate health benefits. The problem may arise in the fact that the diet is tough to strictly follow while the weight loss claims are unproven.
- McLauchlan, G., Fullarton, G. M., Crean, G. P., & McColl, K. E. (1989). Comparison of gastric body and antral pH: a 24 hour ambulatory study in healthy volunteers. Gut, 30(5), 573-578. link
- Bloomfield, A. L., & Keefer, C. S. (1928). Gastric acidity: relation to various factors such as age and physical fitness. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 5(2), 285. link
- Remer, T., & Manz, F. (1995). Potential renal acid load of foods and its influence on urine pH. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 95(7), 791-797. link
- Buclin, T., Cosma, M., Appenzeller, M., Jacquet, A. F., Decosterd, L. A., Biollaz, J., & Burckhardt, P. (2001). Diet acids and alkalis influence calcium retention in bone. Osteoporosis International, 12(6), 493-499. link